If you’re like most people, you probably spend a lot of time on Instagram. You might even feel like you can’t get enough of it!
But how much time exactly are you spending on Instagram? How does that compare to other social media platforms? And what do all those hours add up to in terms of the amount of time you’re spending on your phone each day?
Keep reading for some eye-opening average time spent on Instagram per day.
Editor Choice: Average Time Spent on Instagram Per Day
- The average daily time spent on Instagram is 53 minutes.
- An average person spends 8 months of their lifetime on Instagram.
- There are 500 million active user daily on Instagram.
- In 2018 Facebook users’ spent an average of 58 minutes per day on the platform compared to Instagram users’ 53 minutes per day.
- 63% of Instagram users check the app at least once per day, and 42% open the app multiple times within the same day.
- Users aged 25 spend 32 minutes daily and users aged more than 25 years spend 24 minutes on Instagram.
1.43 percent of small business owners spend six hours per week on social media marketing
(Vertical Response Marketing, eMarketer)
According to the source if this six-hour figure is broken down per day then each business spends 1 hour and 12 minutes in social media marketing. In this daily time they on average post one to two posts on Instagram. Instagram has become a hot place for businesses to stay up for their customers as the number of monthly users worldwide on Instagram is almost 1.00 billion.
2. Around four-fifths of Americans, aged 13 to 24 are on Instagram.
(Review 42, SocialBuddy)
According to the source, there are 870 Instagram photos uploaded in just a matter of seconds and the time spent on Instagram by the teenagers is worth noticing as they spend around 3 hours 16 minutes per day on social media. If we divide this figure among the top 3 social media accounts then on average teens spend 1 hour daily on Instagram. Four out of every five teens in America are active on Instagram.
3. Instagram was the second most used platform, and it remained most popular among Gen-Z users, who spent almost 53 minutes per day.
According to the source, Instagram was the second most used service, and it remained most popular among Gen-Z users, who spent almost 53 minutes per day. This makes up 297 hours per year spent by the teens on Instagram only.
4. Video posts receive 2x engagement of other post types.
According to the source, video posts receive 2x engagement of other post types such as photos or Stories. This also implies that people spend more of their daily time on Instagram videos as compared to other things.
5. 41% of Gen-Z users say they’re wasting too much time on social media. (Marketing Dive)
While spending the most time on Instagram the Gen-Z is also the fastest one to abandon social media because they find it to be time-wasting. Teens have found that the ones of reels and stories keep them distracting and hence they end up wasting their time.
Well, with all the perks the social media also has its drawbacks
6. 36% men while 44% women serve their time most on Instagram.
(Pew Research, The Atlantics)
When the research and survey were divided on the basis of gender then 36% of men reported using Instagram the most while Facebook was at the first position and LinkedIn in the second. Women are more tend to use Instagram as “Young women dominate Instagram and visual platforms in general. Instagram gives you the power to modify your appearance in a way that’s practically on par with makeup and other beauty products,” said Rachel Simmons, a gender researcher.
7. The Global time spent on social media is decreasing globally.
(Global Web Index)
According to the Global Web Index the time spent by the people of the world is slowing down overall but in Latin and North America, it is increasing. According to the statistics the average daily time spent on social media was 1 hour 57 minutes in North America and in 2018 it increased to 2 hours 19 minutes same as for Latin American users 3 hours 21 hours to 3 hours 30 minutes. Instagram is among the top 5 social media platforms used by people around the world.
8. Older adults used Facebook about four times more than they did Instagram overall.
According to the source when they conducted the research to know the use and time spent on Instagram by the people who are 50 plus they found that older adults used Facebook about four times more than they did Instagram overall. And the one who used Instagram said hey spend time on Instagram to do social activity, travel, and real-world leisure activities. While Baby boomers are more tend towards Facebook but they are catching up slowly on Instagram as well.
9. 59% of North Americans use social media to stay in touch with friends while 53% of Latin Americans use it for news and updates.
(Global Web Index)
The time, usage, and preferences of social media change according to the region of the people as the above statistic shows. According to the source, 59% of North Americans use social media to stay in touch with friends and 42% serve their time to upload photos. In Latin America, more people use social media as a news source.
10. 11.01% of the people that actively use the internet have a registered Instagram account.
The more the people are signing up on the platform the more time they have started to spend on Instagram. According to Tech Jury, 11.01% of the people that actively use the internet have a registered Instagram account. People are active on Instagram to a high level and this thing is also noticed by many businesses that is why they have started investing in Instagram marketing and ads.
11. An average user spends at least 3.1 minutes on a single session on Instagram.
42% of the users open the app multiples times a day and they spend at least 3.1 minutes on the platform. Most of them regularly log in to the app and have high engagement with the app.
12. 59% of the people use Instagram daily and 21% use it weekly.
( Pew Research Center)
According to the Pew Research Center, 59% of people use Instagram daily and 21% use it weekly while only 20% of the people use it less frequently. This statistic shows that the most trending app and the one with the most time spent after Facebook is Instagram.
13. Around 70% of Instagram users watch video content in the form of Stories on a daily basis.
The daily time that people spend on Instagram is mostly spent on video content. According to the source, around 70% of Instagram users watch video content in the form of Stories on a daily basis.
Started with the purpose to be connected more with people who are far from you the social media now has become a whole powerful world in itself. People around the world in the times of lockdown have increased the use of social media while this has been a piece of great news and current update source for many while just being a source of depression to others. Such a social platform Instagrm has seen a widely used and users spend most of their time. The statistics tha we mentioned above are clear enough to know that how much of your time is spent on instagram and what people usually do there.
Tell us more about how much time you spend on Instagram and what do you do you like the most about Instagram.