Video-on-Demand (VoD) is a trend that brought about a new market for video content. Netflix followed by other companies like Hulu and Amazon started this. Top companies like Disney and Netflix have a very big impact on this market segment.
In addition to the benefits of low prices and free shipping, another attractive feature of Amazon Prime is its streaming options. Amazon Prime Video is the company’s video-on-demand service that offers a large selection of films and television shows, which Prime members can either watch free, rent, or purchase.
This article will focus on statistics that shed light on the opportunities that exist in this market segment and the potential that the segment has. Keep reading!
Editor’s Choice: Amazon Prime Video Statistics
- By January 2020, Amazon Prime had more than 150 Million Amazon Prime Video Users (Amazon)
- End of 2020, Amazon prime video will have 56 million subscribers (Amazon)
- Amazon video currently have 75 million video worldwide(Amazon)
- In 2020, Amazon Prime Video was third among companies with the biggest impact on digital video, after Netflix and Disney.(Statista)
- Amazon Prime video occupies the second position in the growing Video-on-Demand industry in the US
- Around 64% of households have subscribed to Amazon Prime services worldwide. (Statista)
- About 40% of all Amazon Prime members spend more than $ 1,000 a year on the Amazon site.(Statista)
1. Amazon Prime Video service is available in over 200 countries internationally.
Since Amazon Prime started it has spread to more than 200 countries of the world.
2. In 2019 Amazon was able to produce 70 new original content titles
This number has steadily been increasing since the company released its first block of original programming in April 2013. Amazon spends millions of dollars on production and marketing expenses for its original content.
3. In 2020, the company’s video content budget was seven billion U.S. dollars.
The company spends a lot of money in producing its original content every year. Amazon also continuously increases its selection of TV shows and movies.
4. In the UK, Amazon video Prime had more than 18,000 movies as of February 2021.
This was a 90% share of the whole content provided by the service. The most common content type available on Amazon Prime Video is movies.
5. By 2026, Prime Video is projected to reach over 180 million subscribers globally.
Amazon prime video subscribers are expected to continue to increase in the coming years. By 2026, subscribers are projected to increase by 80 million, which translates to 80% growth.
6. Almost 39% of the United States citizens aged 18 to 34 years subscribe to the on-demand service while 47% 0f the 35 to 44-year-olds have an Amazon Prime subscription.
Younger demographics view Amazon’s video content than older ones. This is the case even though a majority of Americans who are between 35 and 44 years are members of Amazon Prime. This means that not all Amazon Prime members subscribe to Amazon Prime Video.
7. Amazon Prime Video produced 70 original content titles in 2019 compared to 56 titles in 2017
Within two years, Amazon prime had increased the content titles they produced from 56 to 70. Amazon set aside a budget to start producing its original content. Over the years, some of their content has been nominated for various awards in the US.
8. 314 hours of original content was released by Amazon Prime Video worldwide in 2019
Amazon prime released more than three hundred hours of original content worldwide in 2019. By 2019, Amazon had produced content that was equal to more than 300 hours in length.
9. Amazon Prime subscribers get 240 TV shows per dollar on Amazon Prime Video in the U.S.
In the US, subscribers can access a lot of TV content by paying only one dollar. This makes Amazon prime video one of the cheapest platforms for members to watch content. To enjoy this service however individuals must be authentic Amazon prime subscribers.
10. 39% of the U.S. adults subscribe to Amazon Prime Video
Nearly forty percent of the US adult population have subscribed to Amazon prime video.
11. 57% of Amazon Prime members subscribed to the prime program due to the video content.
As of 2020, Amazon Prime video was the second-most popular reason why 57% of respondents subscribed to Amazon Prime.
12. As of March 2020, the average weekly Amazon Video consumption was at five hours and 22 minutes.
Compared to the general population, millennials aged between 18 and 34 years spent less time watching Amazon Video content that month, at a weekly consumption time of four hours and 54 minutes.
13. Amazon Prime Video Channels generated $3.6 billion in revenue sharing in 2020.
Source: Next tv
BMO Capital Markets estimated Amazon prime video segment generated more than 3.5 billion US dollars in revenue in 2020.
14. More than 175 million Prime members streamed TV shows and movies in 2021.
Prime Video streaming hours were up by more than 70% year over year. This means that about 25 million prime members were either not prime video subscribers or they were not interested in Amazon live stream shows.
15. Amazon Studios received 12 Oscar nominations and won in two in 2020.
This could be attributed to the company’s AWS cloud division, which has a $54 billion annual sales run rate. The original content produced by Amazon enjoys a wide viewership and some titles have been able to scoop awards under different categories in different competitions.
16. Amazon’s Twitch live-streaming service has an average of 35 million daily visitors.
Millions of visitors visit amazon’s live streaming service every day. With 35 million daily visitors, Amazon prime video is one of the most appealing services in the company.
17. In February 2021, Amazon made a 10-year deal with the NFL and acquired exclusive rights to “Thursday Night Football” starting in 2023.
This deal is worth $1.32 billion per year. The deal will most likely propel Amazon prime video subscriptions, which could result, in increased revenue.
18. Amazon Prime Video had over 100 million subscribers worldwide by 2020
Amazon’s Prime video service trailed Netflix with 204 million subscriptions the same year. Amazon started producing its original content to compete with other players and make its streaming service more attractive to internet users.
19. Amazon Prime video recorded a 35% surge in viewership in March 2020.
Because of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic in the United States, self-isolation practices led to soaring usage and viewer numbers across SVoD channels. The trend led to an increase in the Amazon Prime video audience surge.
Amazon Prime Video programming is included in the larger Prime subscription. It is one of the most widely available premium streaming services in the world. For comparison, Amazon prime video trailed Netflix, which had 204 million worldwide subscribers at the end of 2020, and Disney, which had more than 100 million. Not every Amazon Prime member watches the company’s video content.
In 2020, Amazon announced new live content integrations on Amazon Fire TV from YouTube TV and Hulu and discovery options including the new free tab that helps customers find free movies, TV shows, and more. Prime Video also launched Watch Parties, a feature that enables Prime members to interact with each other via chat on a desktop while watching Prime Videos. The segment also introduced Prime Video Profiles, allowing users to create and manage up to six profiles within a single prime account for providing more customized recommendations based on profile activity.
Amazon is positioned uniquely within the VoD industry. Millions of consumers already use other services from the company for shopping and cloud computing. Outside of the United States Amazon has an established brand. This makes it easier for the company to expand to global markets.
COVID-fueled momentum continues to surge in sales, as was the case with other big tech companies like Google and Facebook. Amazon prime video is accessible to members of Amazon prime, which is the eCommerce giant’s membership program that includes free shipping on millions of products.