Amazon Prime is a membership program that provides customers pay a fee to be members. This program has a wide range of exclusive offers. Some benefits include exclusive deals and discounts, free premium delivery, and subscriber-only digital content that Prime users can access after paying a monthly or annual fee.
Apart from pantry staples and nonperishables that buyers are stacking up on, customers also frequent Amazon to buy fresh produce. Amazon Fresh, the company’s Prime-exclusive online grocery delivery and pickup service, offers members in select regions a variety of food items ranging from fresh Whole Foods, strawberries to frozen meat that they can get delivered to their doorsteps.
If you have a desire to enroll on Amazon prime or you are an entrepreneur interested in exploring this market segment, then this article will benefit you a lot. The statistics presented here will help you understand the potential of Amazon prime.
- In September 2018 more than 63 million users browsed Amazon’s website via their mobile devices.
- Today, Amazon has about 103 million Prime subscribers in the U.S. which is an increase of 95 million from June 2018.
- In 2019, 20% of Amazon Prime members shopped on Amazon every week.
- 7% of Amazon Prime members purchase on Amazon almost on a daily basis.
- Amazon has over 200 million Prime members.
1. 67% of Amazon shoppers choose to shop via laptop or desktop computers rather than mobile phones.
Nearly 70% of those who shop on Amazon used their desktops or laptops to shop. Only about 30 percent use their mobile phones to shop on Amazon.
2. By 2020, the global number of prime members was 200 million.
In 2020, there were two hundred million Amazon prime members in the whole world. The program expansion of the program to 16 other countries, has contributed a lot to the increase in the number of prime users.
3. In the United States, industry sources estimated a prime subscriber count of 147 million in 2021.
This year, there are approximately 147 million amazon prime subscribers in the US. This means that majority of Amazon’s prime members are from the US. The rest of the world accounts for about 53 million Amazon prime subscribers.
4. In 2019, approximately 65% of all Amazon shoppers were Prime members
Amazon prime has raised the bar for online shopping. It has provided comfort and convenience to members thus it has a strong appeal to most users of the Amazon platform. This will most likely lead to an increase in Amazon prime subscriptions in the coming years.
5. In 2020 more than $10.4 billion in sales was generated on Amazon on Prime Day.
The prime day was launched in 2015 to celebrate the company’s 20th anniversary, the event has now become a household name for bargain hunters from around the world. During this event, the revenue that was generated on Amazon exceeded 10.4 billion U.S. dollars.
6. The global numbers of Amazon prime members increased from 150 million in 2019 to 200 million in the first quarter of 2021.
Amazon reported 200 million paying Prime members worldwide, up from 150 million paid Prime members around the world at the end of the fourth quarter of 2019. Up until recently, official information on the number of Amazon Prime members has been scarce.
7. As of June 2019, there were approximately 105 million Amazon Prime members in the United States
Of the 150 million global Amazon prime members in 2019, 105 of them are from the US. Only 30% of Amazon’s Prime members are from the rest of the world whereas, 70% were from the US.
8. Amazon Prime Day conversion rate in the U.S. was 13.5% in 2019.
In 2019, 13.5% of the total number of visitors who visited the site on a prime day were converted onto sales.
9. It is projected that 38% of prime members will make a purchase during Amazon prime day in 2021.
The Percentage of members who are likely to make purchases during Amazon Prime Day in 2021 is almost forty percent.
10. In 2020 there were 46.3 million Amazon Prime Video subscribers in North America.
There were almost 50 million Amazon Prime subscribers who subscribed to prime video.
11. Amazon Studios were nominated for 19 positions during the Primetime Emmy Awards.
Amazon studios were nominated for 19 Emmy awards during prime time.
12. 44% of U.S. Amazon Prime members purchased food or beverages on Amazon in April 2020
In 2020, nearly half of amazon prime members in the US bought food or beverages on Amazon. This was due to the lockdown that people went into due to the Covid-19 outbreak.
13. Amazon registers $25.21 billion in annual revenue from retail subscription fees.
Prime member subscription fees account for $25.21 billion of Amazon revenue.
14. In 2021, there was a 49.05% increase in the number of Amazon Prime members in the US from 99.7 million members in 2017.
Amazon Prime Members in the US increased from 99.7 million in 2017 to 148.6 million accounting for an increase of 49.05%.
15. eMarketer forecasts that the number of Amazon Prime users in the US is expected to reach 153.1 million by 2022.
It is expected that the number of Amazon prime users will grow by 3% by 2022.
16. eMarketer findings revealed that sales on Amazon during Prime Day reached $9.91 billion in 2020.
(Source: Digital Commerce 360)
In 2020, nearly 10 billion worth of sales was realized by Amazon during the prime day. This means that prime days are peak periods for Amazon sales.
17. eMarketer also estimates that Prime Day sales have grown by 139.95% compared to the period the event was started in 2015.
(Source: Digital Commerce 360)
Prime day sales have increased by nearly 140% since the event started in 2015. This makes the event a very important event for Amazon since the day attracts many visitors and most of them are concerted to sales.
18. In 2020, 62.26% of total Prime Day sales were revenue from the US market compared to 37.74% from international markets.
(Source: Hollywood reporter)
In 2020 the Us market made sales worth $6.17 billion while other international markets made $3.74 billion. The US market made more than two times the sales that were made by Amazon markets from other regions.
19. Amazon Prime passed 150 million subscribers in January 2020.
(Source: Hollywood reporter)
Amazon Prime membership has continued to grow over the years and there more growth is expected in the coming years.
Since Amazon prime debuted on September 7, 2006, the program has continued to attract subscribers from different parts of the world. The service has grown tremendously because of the advantages it comes with to Amazon prime members. It is very attractive to members because it offers convenience and comfort when doing a purchase.
The growing number of Prime users is paying off not only in terms of membership fees but also in purchasing volume. Prime delivery services have a significant impact on purchasing decisions of consumers. This is is because research has shown that more than half of Amazon prime subscribers increase their orders’ size, as one-day or same-day delivery were available. Each year, spending is skyrocketing during the 48-hours of Prime Day. Prime day is an online shopping event that promotes a wide range of deals and flash sales to Prime users. Prime days have proved to be peak periods for Amazon because many sales are done during these events.
Examples of products that have seen tremendous growth in sales from Amazon prime in 2020 and 2021 are groceries. This could be associated with the outbreak of Covid-19 as people tried to minimize trips to supermarkets. From April 2020 therefore food and drinks were among the most popular product categories among Prime members in the United States.