Share this article

Flight delays are inevitable, and the most frustrating aspect of them is how unexpected they may be at any given time. They also have an impact on how satisfied customers are with the airline’s performance. In the long term, it may even cause them to switch to a different airline altogether.

The statistics on airline flight delays are pretty alarming. And it’s because the sector is plagued by an excessive number of delays. Who knows what the underlying causes are for such events to occur.

Editor Choice: Airline Flight Delay Statistics

  • 1.25 percent of airline flight delay is due to bad weather.
  • In 2016 more than 100 turtles blocked JFK airport’s runway in New York thus causing delays.
  • 8.2 percent of the delays are associated with the aircraft arriving late.
  • Security clearance accounts for 0.1 percent of airline flight delays.
  • Out of 10 planes with extremely lengthy average delays, four are from the U.S.
  • The weather resulted in 69 percent of flight delays of more than 15 minutes from  2008 to 2013.
  • On average, the Federal Aviation Administration records more than 10,000 wildlife invasions every year.

1. Security clearance accounts for 0.1 percent of airline flight delay

(BTS)

Many tasks must be completed before the aircraft’s engines may be turned on and flown. For example, the crew may be required to shut the doors and call Air Traffic Control (ATC), who will either grant permission immediately or after a period of time. Allowing for resistance and a startup is accomplished via this process.


They will also indicate the taxiway, but pilots are usually advised to keep away from the runway while flying. Furthermore, the ATC gives the go-ahead for the aircraft to land on the runway and then take off. To summarize, the processes that must be completed will have an impact on the time that the aircraft departs from the airport.

2. 1.25 percent  of the flight delay is due to bad weather 

(BTS)

When it comes to delays caused by inclement weather, airports have their own set of rules and regulations. Moreover, national regulatory agencies, such as the Federal Aviation Administration in the United States, are often in charge of determining it. Unfavorable weather conditions have long been recognized as one of the most significant causes of flight delays.


Despite the fact that they are not as popular as the majority of people expect. This is due to the fact that when the weather isn’t ideal, it isn’t stated that the flight won’t be able to depart on time. Hurricanes, blizzards, and tornadoes are just a few of the weather extremes that may have an effect on performance.

3. 8.2 percent of the delays are associated with the aircraft arriving late

(BTS)

The most frequent cause of delays is the arrival of aircraft late to their destinations. When an aircraft that was assumed to be your flight is delayed on the prior route, this has a knock-on impact on your flight as well. And whether or not you are eligible for compensation will be determined by the specifics of your situation.


Keep in mind that only exceptional circumstances may relieve airlines of their legal obligations.

4. Weather resulted in 69 percent of flight delays of more than 15 minutes from  2008 to 2013

(FAA)

There are six years left on the clock, which is much too much time to waste. The vast majority of regular travelers are aware that inclement weather may cause flight cancellations or delays. It has even been known to cause cancellations in certain cases.


Despite the fact that airplanes are designed to fly and land in a variety of weather conditions, pilots must use caution in certain situations. The weather conditions in the east may have an effect on flights in the west, and vice versa, depending on the route. The presence of large amounts of precipitation and wind also contributes to the delays.

5. In 2016 more than 100 turtles blocked JFK airport’s runway in New York thus causing delay

(CNN)

The creation of departments dedicated to keeping animals and planes away from one another may help airports deal with situations like these in the future. Despite this, while ensuring that the runway is free of turtles in order for the airport to operate efficiently, a genuine danger lurks in the sky most of the time.

6. On average, Federal Aviation Administration records more than 10,000 wildlife invasions  every year 

(THEVERGE)

Birds are responsible for the majority of the strikes. This may seem to be very dramatic, but it is unlikely to do any damage in the long run. Furthermore, many individuals think that the plane’s engine has the potential to completely destroy the bird.


Despite the fact that a single one may only do little or no harm. When there are an excessive number of them, they may cause more significant damage. If they hit the engine’s blades, for example, they may damage them.


As a consequence, the engine must be thoroughly inspected for any potential debris, which results in lengthy delays for everyone involved.

7. General departure or arrival delays are either 15 minutes or even less than that

(FAA)

The Federal Aviation Administration considers an aircraft to be delayed if it arrives fifteen minutes after its planned departure time. When a flight is delayed in the United States, passengers may be eligible for compensation. According to the regulation, travelers may be eligible for some kind of compensation.


This consists mostly of a free room if the following flight is scheduled on the same day as the one that was canceled. Refreshments, phone calls, and rerouting are all possibilities as well. When an aircraft is delayed, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) assigns landing and takeoff slots.

And this depends on the one which is scheduled first.

8. In 2019 International flights had 26 delays of over four hours compared to 61 in 2018 

(Nytimes)

Arriving late to a location may cause major disruptions to your plans, don’t you think? If a plane’s on-time performance is consistently poor, passengers may choose to go somewhere else. Furthermore, business travelers prefer to stay an extra night away from home while traveling for work.


This is done in order to prevent missing important meetings due to airline delays in the morning. As a result, airline on-time performance is not only a source of irritation for many passengers, but it also causes others to cancel or postpone travel plans.

9. Approximately 24.30 percent of all flights are delayed by around fifteen minutes or more  

(Claim compass)

It is true that arriving late to a location is a major annoyance, but it may also be more than a nuisance at times. This is especially true when it comes to connecting travelers. Passengers may get very upset if they miss a connection, and the expense of missing a connection is another consideration.

10. Among 10 planes with extremely lengthy average delays, four are from the U.S.

(Claim compass)

When comparing American airlines to European airlines, this is the case. And it simply means that American tourists will suffer much more as a result. European aircraft, on the other hand, deserve some credit for their ability to cope with crowded skies……….


There do not seem to be many complaints about the overall quality of the aircraft. When things don’t go according to plan, there are additional advantages that are made available to the passengers. The Europeans emphasize the importance of luxury services provided by this sector.


As a result, many airline carriers make certain that they achieve everything by updating their fleets to accommodate more legroom. As a result, there are just a few technical problems. New aircraft also indicate that they are more likely to be well-maintained, and you will be impressed by the beautiful surroundings.

11. A combination of the airfield surface winds plus the low ceiling and visibility circumstances accounts for nearly 75 percent of the delays

(FAA)

If you’re like many fearful flyers, chances are you’ll be feeling worried as a result of the turbulence. However, you may check the weather website before you go to ensure that everything is in working order. Simply go to the site and search for the departure terminal that corresponds to your flight.


If it is not mentioned, you may find out the location by calling the city. Additionally, you can determine whether or not the surface winds are strong. A wind speed of twenty miles per hour or greater may make takeoff difficult.


Despite the fact that it is just for one or two minutes. You may also look up the quantity of precipitation that has fallen. Thunderstorms may also make the ascent more difficult.


A 20 percent chance of precipitation indicates that there is a twenty percent chance of rain or snow within an hour of the forecast. Furthermore, you should be aware that thunderstorms do not occur over about 80% of the sky. It also indicates that there is still space for the plane’s captain to balance his or her duties.

Unless the proportion is at least seventy percent, the ascent will be less tumultuous as well.

Conclusion

Flight delays on airlines are a frequent occurrence, and although they may be difficult to anticipate, you should prepare yourself for such occurrences. Having said that, being aware of the measures you may take in the event of a delay might be beneficial. Furthermore, adopting proactive measures may help you prevent inconvenient delays.

Sources

BTS

FAA

FAA

CNN

THEVERGE

Nytimes

Claim compass

Share this article

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.